On May 5th, in Los Angeles, the 67-year-old versatile actor Mike Hagerty passed away. From the details revealed by multiple sources, the official Mike Hagerty death cause is due to an adverse reaction to an antibiotic. He was at the hospital for a regular health check after a leg infection. He was administered an antibiotic that put him into a coma. He passed away sometime later.
Though it has been some time since he left for the heavenly abode, as his admirers, even today, we are curious about the cause of his death and what his career trajectory was like. In this write-up, we will delve into those areas and ensure the readers get a better insight into the person’s character.
What was Mike Hagerty death cause?
HBO’s Somebody Somewhere lost its Ed Miller to a terrible antibiotic-induced seizure in the summer of 2022. From what is known – he was preparing to film the second season of his show, before which his doctor recommended a medical test for him. He was already recovering from an infection in his leg, and when a new antibiotic was administered, he had a seizure.
After that, he went into a coma and did not recover. His co-star from Somebody Somewhere, Bridgett Everett, passed the sad news to his friends and media.
Tributes poured in from all over, with Everett spearheading the same, stating – “With great sadness, the family of Michael G Hagerty announced his death yesterday in Los Angeles….” It was soon followed by HBO, Sarah Jessica Parker, Trisha-Martin Campbell, Jay Duplass, and many more.
He has left behind – his wife, Mary Kathryn, his sister Mary Ann Hagerty, her spouse Kathleen O’Rourke and their daughter Meg.
Why was he so famous?
With more than 100 acting credits to his name, he was one of the most notable actors in Hollywood. His impeccable comic timing, varied acting range, and commanding screen presence made him an immediate favourite with one and all! Hence, for everyone who knew him, both Mike Hagerty death cause and the unfortunate timing of the same came as a rude shock.
Not only did he appear on a plethora of serials – Boston Legal, Brooklyn -Nine-Nine, Shameless, Seinfield, Happy Endings, Cheers, and a lot more to name! However, he remained true to the sitcom genre with roles such as – The George Carlin Show and Lucky Louie.
What his career trajectory looked like?
Though Mike Hagerty death cause has been trending in the news, his career trajectory is worth noting. Starting 1980s, he worked in films such as – Brewster’s Millions, Doctor Detroit, and Overboard. Stepping into the early 90s, he worked in Wayne’s World, Dick Tracy, and VI.I.Warshawski. He also appeared in television shows such as – The Wonder Years, Murphy Brown, Deadwood, Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Union Square.
In 1993 – he was cast in the CBS sitcom The Building and The George Carlin Show (Fox). He also played the character of Rudy in Seinfield, which is counted among his most notable works.
Talking of his pathbreaking role, his appearance in HBO’s sitcom Friends is noteworthy. The character actor portrayed the role of Mr Treeger, the superintendent at Rachael Green and Monica Gellar’s NYC apartment building. He initially appeared in the sitcom’s second season, and last appeared in the eighth, starring in a total of 5 episodes.
His latest onscreen appearance was in the role of a Kansas farmer in another HBO shows, Somebody Somewhere, father to Bridget’ Sam’ Everett’s character. The show was renewed for a second season, and Mike Hagerty passed away before he could start shooting for the show.
Do antibiotics cause such seizures?
Mike Hagerty death cause has given rise to some very crucial queries about the use of antibiotics and their effects on the human body. For the unversed, there are a couple of ways by which antibiotics can kill you. How about keeping a note of the same?
1. When you consume antibiotics, you may get Clostridium difficile infection. It manifests as abdominal pain and diarrhoea and may lead to life-threatening sepsis.
2. If you are consuming any cutaneous drugs, there are multiple adverse effects to this, such as Toxic epidermal necrolysis and Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.
3. You may also have antibiotic drug allergies, such as an anaphylactic shock. You may have some other type of allergy as well.
4. Certain antibiotic medications may cause – neurologic, hematologic, hepatic, cardiac, renal, or electrolyte toxicity. These not just wreck your immune system but also can be fatal.
Who are the other celebs who faced the same fate?
Mike Hagerty death cause by an antibiotic overdose, came as quite a shock to one and all. However, this has not been the first celeb death due to an adverse medical reaction. Let’s take a look at some of the other instances –
1. Playboy mate – Anna Nicole Smith passed away on February 8, 2007. She had stomach flu with a high fever. She had self-administered lorazepam, diazepam and chloral hydrate. The combination turned fatal.
2. Noted actor Heath Ledger passed away on January 22, 2008. He had consumed a mixture of prescription drugs such as diazepam, oxycodone, and hydrocodone. Since he already suffered from addiction issues, the medicines reacted, causing toxicity.
3. Michael Jackson, the King of Pop for years together, suffered from addiction issues. His death was caused by the reaction of prescription drugs – diazepam, lorazepam, propofol, and midazolam.
4. Michelle McNamara – author of I’ll Be Gone in the Dark (New York Times Bestseller), passed away in her sleep on April 21, 2016 – due to the effects of multiple prescription drugs such as – Adderall, Xanax, and Fentanyl.
Well, this was all about Mike Hagerty death cause and the person that he was. We mourn his loss as admirers of his art and fans of his acting prowess. If you wish to know more about his works, or any other related celebrity news, keep checking this space.