Jamie Raskin is a well-known name in the American political and literary circle. An accomplished attorney, politician, and novelist, Jamie has had a successful career in all three fields. He is still active in American politics, working as the US representative for the 8th congressional district of Maryland. Jamie Raskin net worth is estimated to be $5 million. Let us find out more about him.
Table of Contents
Jamie Raskin bio
Jamie Raskin, aka Jamin Ben Raskin, is a politician, novelist, attorney, and law professor from America. Belonging to the Democratic Party, he is the US representative for the 8th congressional district of Maryland (a part of Montgomery County) since 2017.
Before that, he was a member of the Maryland State Senate from the year 2007 to 2016. He also chairs the United States House of Representatives’ membership organization, the Congressional Freethought Caucus.
Before stepping into politics, Jamie taught constitutional law at the American University Washington College of Law. He was also the co-founder and director of the college’s LL.M. program and co-founder of the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project.
|Name||Jamie Raskin (aka Jamin Ben Raskin)|
|Profession||Politician, Attorney, and Law Professor|
|Height||5 feet 10 inches (1.77 m or 177 cm)|
|Birthplace||Washington, D.C., USA|
|Education||Georgetown Day School, Harvard College, Harvard Law School|
|DOB||13 December 1962|
|Years Active||2006- Present (Political Career)|
|Spouse||Sarah Bloom Raskin (m. 1990)|
|Parents||Marcus G. Raskin and Barbara Bellman Raskin|
Early life and education
Jamie Raskin was born on December 13, 1962, in Washington, DC, to Marcus G. Raskin and Barbara Bellman Raskin. His father was a progressive activist and co-founded the Institute for Policy Studies. He also served as a staff member to John F. Kennedy, the former American president, on NSC (National Security Council). Jamie’s mother, Barbara, was a novelist and journalist.
Jamie went to the Georgetown Day School and graduated in 1979 when he was 16. He then attended Harvard College and attained a Bachelor of Arts in 1983. In 1987, Jamie got a J.D. degree from Harvard Law School.
- Jamie worked as a professor of constitutional law at American University Washington College of Law for over two decades.
- He worked at Harvard University as a Teaching Fellow from January 1985 to June 1987.
- In September 1987, he stepped in as an Assistant Attorney General at the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and continued his duties till May 1989.
- The biggest highlight of his career as an attorney and law professor was laying the foundation of the LL.M. program on law and government.
- He was also the co-founder of the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project.
- He was the general counsel for the National Rainbow Coalition from 1989 to 1990.
- After Ross Perot’s exclusion from the United States presidential debates in 1996, Jamie represented him.
Career in politics
- Jamie was elected as the Maryland Senate for District 20 in 2006. He represented Takoma Park and Silver Springs in Montgomery County.
- He was elected as the Senate whip in 2012.
- He chaired the Select Committee on Ethics Reform and the Montgomery County Senate Delegation.
- Raskin served as the Judicial Proceedings Committee member.
- He sponsored bills to revoke the death penalty in Maryland, form legal guidelines for benefit corporations, and expand the state ignition interlock device program.
- He also sponsored the bill for the National Popular Vote.
- Jamie Raskin also worked extensively in reforming laws related to marijuana in Maryland. In 2014, Jamie established a bill for the legalization of medical marijuana. The authorities put into force in January 2015.
- He also fought for LGBTQ+ rights in Maryland and ran from post to pillar to legalize same-sex marriage.
- On 19th April 2015, Jamie announced his Congress campaign.
- He won the seven-way Democratic primary elections with 33 percent votes. Congressional Progressive Caucus’s political arm, the Progressive Action PAC endorsed him in the primary.
- Our Revolution, Bernie Sanders’s political organization network and People’s Action endorsed Raskin in the general elections.
- Raskin won the election with a 60% vote against Dan Cox, the Republican candidate.
- Jamie Raskin and other members of the House took a stance against the 2016 presidential election certification that favored Trump.
- In June 2017, Jamie Raskin sponsored the legislation for the formation of a commission that can declare that the president is “incapacitated”.
- In April 2018, Jamie, in conjunction with Dan Kildee, Jerry McNemey, and Jared Huffman, established the Congressional Freethought Caucus with three major goals- promoting separation of state and church, standing up against discrimination against humanists, agonistics, seekers, atheists, religious, and nonreligious, and pushing public policies based on moral values, reason, and science.
- He stood against discrimination on the basis of gender identity and sexual orientation.
- In 2019, Raskin cast his vote in favor of the Equality Act.
- He was declared the lead impeachment manager on 12th January 2021 for the Senate impeachment trial.
- He authored the impeachment article with Ted Lieu and David Cicilline.
- In February 2022, Jaime suffered an allegation of violation of the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act by not showing his wife’s share dealings when she was being considered for vice chair of supervision for the Federal Reserve.
- On 1 July 2021, Nancy Pelosi (Speaker) appointed Raskin with six other Democrats to the United States House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack.
- Jamie Raskin voted against H. Con. Res. 21 in 2023. H. Con. Res. 21 directs the president to remove the United States Armed Forces from Syria in less than 180 days.
Jamie Raskin has authored five books to date. They include,
- The Wealth Primary: Campaign Fundraising and the Constitution (with John Bonifaz)- 1994
- Overruling Democracy: Supreme Court versus the American People- 2003
- We the Students: Supreme Court Cases for and about Students- 2014
- Youth Justice in America (with Andrew G. Ferguson and Maryam Ahranjani)- 2014
- Unthinkable- Trauma, Truth, and the Trials of American Democracy- 2022
Jamie Raskin net worth
Jamie Raskin is a successful politician and novelist. He had a long career as an attorney. Hence, his wealth is a compilation of different income streams.
According to varied sources, Jamie Raskin net worth is estimated to be $5 million (but there are different sources mentioning that is between $5 to 10m). His net worth came partly from his career as an attorney. As of now, his main source of income is his political career. He also earns a decent sum of money through his publications.
Although Jamie Raskin has not disclosed his salary, it is estimated to be $33,000 per month.
Jamie Raskin lives with his wife, Sarah Bloom Raskin, in Takoma Park, Maryland. The couple got married in 1990. They have three children- Hannah, Tabitha, and Thomas.
The family faced adverse times when Jamie and Sarah’s son Tommy committed suicide at the age of 25 after battling depression for a very long time. He died on 31st December 2020 and was buried on 5 January 2021.
Sarah worked as the Maryland Commissioner of Financial Regulation for three years (2007-2010). On 28 April 2012, President Obama nominated her to the Federal Reserve Board, and on 4 October, she took charge as the board’s governor.
She was nominated for chair of the board by President Joe Biden, but her nomination faced resistance from the Republicans.
From 19 March 2014 to 20 January 2017, Sarah worked as the United States Deputy Secretary of the Treasury.
Jamie Raskin came to know that he had colon cancer in May 2010. He underwent radiation therapy and chemotherapy for six weeks. Later, he underwent surgery to remove the cancerous part of his colon. After the surgery, he received chemotherapy in early 2011.
In December 2022, Jamie was diagnosed with another type of cancer known as diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. He underwent chemoimmunotherapy for its treatment.
Social media presence
Jamie Raskin is active on several social media platforms, including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
He has 78k followers on Instagram and 57k followers on Facebook. Jamie joined Twitter in December 2016 and has 851.1k followers there.
Jamie Raskin also has a YouTube channel, which he created on 8 December 2016. Also, he has 13.1k subscribers on his channel.
Here are the details about his social media channels.
|Social Media Platform||Social Media Handle||Followers/ Subscribers|
|@Rep. Jamie Raskin||57k|
Interesting facts about Jamie Raskin
- A Jewish, Jamie’s ancestors were Russian immigrants
- Jamie was named after his paternal grandfather, Benjamin Raskin. His name is actually a variant of Benjamin
- Jamie graduated with Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude from Harvard College. From Harvard Law School, he earned magna cum laude
- At Harvard Law School, Jamie was Harvard Law Review’s editor
- On 6 January 2021, Jamie, his daughter, and son-in-law were in the Capitol when a mob attacked the Capitol Building after Donald Trump’s defeat
- Jamie had taught the American politician, Stacey Plaskett, at the American University Washington College of Law.
The bottom line
Jamie Raskin is the shining star of the Democratic Party in Maryland. Although he had a very turbulent personal life and health history, he did not let it affect his work. An accomplished politician, he is leading the battle against many social and political issues.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who is Jamie Raskin?
Jamie Raskin is a politician, attorney, and novelist from America.
2. What is Jamie Raskin net worth?
According to varied sources, Jamie Raskin net worth is estimated to be $5 million.
3. Who is Jamie Raskin’s wife?
Sarah Bloom Raskin is Jamie Ruskin’s wife.
4. What is Jamie Raskin’s age?
Jamie Raskin is 60 years old. He was born on 13 December 1962.
5. What is Jamie Raskin salary?
Jamie Raskin has not disclosed his salary, but it is estimated to be $33,000 per month
6. Who is Jamie Raskin’s son?’
Jamie Ruskin’s son’s name was Thomas Raskin (Tommy). He died of suicide on 31 December 2020.
7. How tall is Jamie Raskin?
Jamie Raskin is 5 feet 10 inches (1.77 m or 177 cm) tall.
8. What is Jamie Raskin’s weight?
Jamie Raskin weighs 150 lbs (68 kg).
9. How is Jamie Raskin so rich?
Jamie Raskin earns decent money from his political career and through his publications.
10. Is Jamie Raskin suffering from cancer?
Jamie Raskin had cancer once again in 2022. He is currently undergoing treatment.